Monday, January 18, 2016

Pregnant Again!

We had a blast going home for Christmas and announcing the news of our second pregnancy to my family and to the social media world! It was hard not to spill the beans for two and half months, but somehow we managed to keep it a secret and it was definitely worth it.

We knew we wanted to start trying again as soon as we could. I wasn't too worried because I assumed it would happen right away. Wrong. I'm sure my stress and anxiety about it were part of the cause, but it took about 5 months. I know this is still nothing compared to what some mothers have to wait, but it was rough, especially when I was trying to plan around a school schedule. We had to put our trust in the Lord's timing and have faith that He knew better than us. Thankfully, I had three friends have babies during that time, and for me, being around babies was very comforting. I'll admit that hearing pregnancy announcements was hard, but actually being around babies made me very happy. We spent a lot of time with my little cousins in Idaho last summer and did a lot of traveling around the state, which also helped take my mind off of it.

Finally, October comes around and I've about given up for a while. If I could, I really wanted to avoid having a baby right before school started or even at the beginning of the year. We even talked about forms of birth control we could use temporarily. That first full week of October came and I began feeling a little different. My period was late, so I was starting to think about the possibilities, but I didn't get my hopes up because I had been wrong before. I didn't think much of it and just decided to wait until that weekend to take a test.

Saturday morning came. I had been planning for this all week, so of course I woke up ridiculously early. I took the test and waited. At first, I only saw one line. I put the test down and talked to myself about how I was expecting this and that I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up. I took a deep breath and decided it wasn't going to ruin my day. I picked up the test to throw it away and low and behold, a second line was clearly visible! I must have made the mistake of not waiting the full time that you're supposed to. :) I couldn't believe it, though! I started to cry. I found myself on my knees, in the bathroom, praying so hard and thanking God for a second chance.

I ran to the bedroom, where Bruno was still sleeping, and starting yelling at him to wake up. Obviously, he was happy about this unexpected surprise. It was kind of bittersweet, though. We wanted to be really excited, but it was hard to assume everything would be okay. We decided that we had the right to be excited about it and we weren't going to let our fears overcome our joy.

We also decided that we wanted to wait until our first appointment to tell our families. We wanted to share our news and then give them an immediate reassurance that everything was okay. That didn't mean we couldn't tell our friends, though. :) I immediately called a couple of my closest friends from PA and then waited until I could tell my friends out here in person. Bruno did the same.

A couple hours later, I had two baptism's to go to. At the first one, we sang a primary song called, "When I am Baptized." The first line says, "I like to look for rainbows, whenever there is rain..." I almost lost it because I was still overwhelmed by the idea that our rainbow was coming.

The second baptism was Addee's, the sweet girl I worked with in Kinder and then also taught last year. My principal is actually her aunt, so she was there too. Anyway, Addee has three sisters and I've gotten really close with their whole family. My principal is like a second mom. She's seriously the best boss ever. I told them all our news and my boss offered to play the mom role since I told her I was waiting to tell my own. (Sorry mom, if you're reading this - I had the best intentions!)

Anyway, we scheduled our first appointment, which wasn't going to be until December 14th - Bruno's birthday. Since we wanted to wait until then to tell families, we figured we might as well wait until Christmas. However, I quickly realized that December 14th was a LONG ways away and was frustrated that my doctor didn't care to see me any earlier, given my history. So, we searched for a new doctor!

We found a new doctor that I had heard nothing but good things about, so we scheduled a new appointment. At that point, it was only a week away! We couldn't wait. Since we already planned to tell my family at Christmas, we decided to just stick to that. Bruno couldn't wait to tell his family, so we ended up telling them a week after we found out. We didn't tell them about our new appointment, though, so we kept that a surprise.

November 12th came. We met our doctor and loved him from the start. He answered all of our questions and really took his time explaining things. He didn't wait to do an ultrasound and reassured us that everything was fine as soon as he saw the heartbeat. I'm starting to cry just writing this post because it was such a relief! Even though the baby looked like a little jelly bean, I could have stared at the screen all day. Bruno was disappointed to find out there was only one in there. He wants twins in the worst way. haha But he was obviously really happy and relieved that everything looked good. The baby measured to be about 8 weeks, so my due date was set to June 21st! Talk about good timing.. I really couldn't complain about that!

After our visit, we went to Bruno's mom's house and surprised her and his sister with the ultra sound picture. She was definitely not expecting us to have had our appointment AND to have pictures. haha She immediately said that it was a boy. I won't be surprised if she's right! She said she wasn't going to cry and that she'd only cry if she heard the heartbeat.  Well, little did she know... we had taken videos of that. :) We also told his grandparents shortly after this.

Later that day, we told my brother and swore him to secrecy. The next day, I told some of my coworkers and we gradually started telling more people.  There were only a handful of people that were connected to my family that knew. I tried not to tell very many people that my mom also knew because I didn't want her to feel like the last to know. Hopefully, I was a little bit successful at that.

Anyway... I love hearing baby stories and retelling our own, but I'll try not to post too much. :) I want to make one more blog about pregnancy so far and our big announcement at home. After that, the next post will probably be a gender reveal!!

No comments:

Post a Comment